Alexander Technique for Actors
A Practical Course
The Alexander Technique has revolutionised the physicality, presence and professional lives of generations of actors. By first asking you to identify your own acquired habits, the technique enables you to find new and beneficial ways of moving, thinking, breathing and performing, freely and without unnecessary tension.
Written by an experienced teacher of the Alexander Technique, this clear, supportive and highly practical book takes you step by step through a series of eleven guided lessons. Each explores different elements and principles of the technique, including:
- Training yourself to stay present, and mindful of your environment
- Thinking (but not overthinking!) in new ways
- Observing and developing your natural poise
- Sitting, standing and walking easily and effortlessly
- Breathing and speaking with release and power
- Applying all of this work to characterisation and performance
With dozens of exercises and assignments to help you immediately put what you've learned into practice, and featuring illustrations throughout, this is the ideal introduction to everything the Alexander Technique has to offer – and its potential to benefit not just your work and career, but your entire life.
"This engaging, charming and creative guide [is] a fantastic resource… it’s easy to read, the ideas, exercises and experiments are laid out clearly and thoroughly, and it’s comprehensive... I strongly recommend this book."- Statnews (Journal of the Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique)