The Writer's Toolkit
Exercises, Techniques and Ideas for Playwrights and Screenwriters
Perfect for playwrights and screenwriters of all levels of experience, The Writer’s Toolkit will equip you with everything required to kickstart your creativity, develop your craft, and make your writing the very best that it can be.
Written by an experienced playwright, screenwriter and producer, this essential book is packed with almost two hundred practical exercises, techniques and ideas for every part of your process, designed to be used either solo or in a group. It includes:
- Writing warm-ups to focus your mind and get your creative muscles in gear
- Dozens of exercises to strengthen fundamental elements of your writing such as developing characters, improving dialogue, layering in subtext, creating a strong setting and constructing a compelling plot
- Immersive-writing techniques to lift the world of your script off the page and allow you to shape it more effectively
- A blueprint for writing a ten-minute play—a great way to practise your craft, explore a new idea and add to your portfolio
- A Submission Surgery with exercises and pointers so you can review and fine-tune your completed work before sending it out
- 101 quick-fire writing prompts to help you warm up, take a break from your current project, or just keep you feeling productive
Also included are mindful meditations to use at the beginning and end of your writing sessions, to help you relax, boost your productivity and maximise your creative output.
Whatever you need as a writer—whether that’s to crack a problem in your current script, develop ideas for future projects, build up your skills and experience, or bust through writer’s block—this book will give you the right tools for the job. So get writing!