How to Make Immersive Theatre
A practical guide to creating successful immersive theatre productions, by an experienced theatre-maker and practitioner.
Placing the audience at the heart of a production – not as passive bystanders but as active participants – is the impetus behind the hugely varied work of leading immersive theatre companies such as Punchdrunk, OneOhOne and Hobo Theatre. Done well, it can generate powerful, gut-level emotional effects that will long outlast the production itself.
Creating Worlds offers a step-by-step breakdown of the entire journey towards making an immersive theatre production, and covers everything you need to consider, including:
- Deciding what kind of production you want to make, and the 'mission statement' for your piece
- Understanding and anticipating audience behaviour
- Planning and influencing journeys through the space
- Balancing interaction with narrative
- Giving your audience an active role, and navigating the thin line between free will and uncontrolled chaos
- Managing complex rehearsals, and preparing your cast for the unexpected
- Extending the audience experience outside of the performance
- Generating innovative ideas and tactics for marketing your production
Throughout the book, Jason Warren draws on his own experiences of creating immersive theatre work in a variety of styles and settings. Also included is a glossary of key terms, and a schedule to help you make the most of your rehearsal period.
An essential how-to guide for theatre-makers, artists, students and teachers who want to create their own immersive theatre, Creating Worlds is also a fascinating read for those interested in the inspirations and ideas that fuel the performances they love.
'Jason Warren's exceptional introduction to the world of immersive theatre creation is an essential starting point. This book is a must have for any drama library… a brilliant guidebook that simplifies terminology for students and makes the impossible seem possible'- Teaching Drama Magazine
'A valuable guide… the advice given is judicious and constructive'- Word Matters - Journal of the Society of Teachers of Speech and Drama
'This book is very much an encourager and enabler of ideas... Jason Warren's writing style is clear, full of vim and often with a light sense of humour. He brilliantly explores and categories the various elements that go into making many forms of immersive work... incredibly useful both for practitioners new to immersive work but also for those who have staged such work in the past... a fantastically insightful and clear exploration of the mechanics of immersive performance and one which bears repeat reading before and during a making process'- Drama Magazine